|Follow these additional tips for a convenient and relaxing commute:
Tip #1: Arranging the carpool: A little planning goes a long way
Meet with the other carpoolers prior to start-up date and agree on an arrangement suitable to everyone regarding:
- Drive/ride only
- Shared driving
- Carpooling daily or part-time
- Back-up drivers
Also, be sure to:
- Decide on costs to be shared and confirm regular payment dates.
- Determine pick-up and drop-off location.
- Utilize free park & ride lots when possible.
- Schedule pick-up and departure times.
- Discuss policies such as smoking, eating/drinking in the car, radio programs.
- Set a policy on lateness for both driver and carpoolers.
Tip #2: Make sure what's fare is fair
Meet with the other carpoolers. If each person in the carpool takes
a turn at driving, then there's no need to charge. If only one person
drives, however, you'll want to charge each rider a reasonable fare.
According to AAA, in 2004, the average cost to own and operate a
car is 50 cents per mile. According to the Internal Revenue Service,
the 2005 standard mileage rate for business miles is set at 40.5
cents per mile (up from 37.5 cents a mile in 2004).
Tip #3: Follow the Golden Rules
Carpool Courtesies for Riders
- Notify fellow carpoolers a day in advance if not riding in the pool.
- Keep a record of fellow carpoolers' work and home phone numbers.
- Do errands on your own time instead of asking carpoolers to make stops.
- Adhere to the daily pre-arranged schedule.
Carpool Courtesies for Drivers
- Honor set routines and time schedules.
- Advise riders of any necessary time changes.
- Fill up vehicle's gas tank before picking up passengers.
- Plan extra time in inclement weather.
- Drive carefully.
- Keep vehicle in good condition, both mechanically and aesthetically.
- Check insurance for rider coverage as well as possible reduction in premiums.
Tip #4: Need carpool assistance? Call MetroPool!
MetroPool is here to help with all your carpooling needs including helping to find new carpool partners, finding the most convenient park & ride lots. Just Contact Us
- Be on time to meet the van in the morning and after work (this applies to the driver and riders).
- Elect a person to be the contact for early morning phone calls regarding absences or delays.
- Decide on the radio station/music you'd like to listen to in advance.
- Have enough gas in the van for the round-trip.
- Don't make detours for personal errands.
- Refrain from smoking unless you are all smokers or all have agreed that smoking is okay.
- Keep the van clean.
- Select a responsible and enthusiastic driver.
- Create and agree upon your own "rules of the road" right from the start.
Set the ground rules to make your vanpool a success!